International students studying in Dunedin can have confidence that their New Zealand qualifications are an excellent standard and equivalent to qualifications from other international tertiary institutions.
Qualifications gained at both the University of Otago and the Otago Polytechnic are compatible with other programmes of study. Both have Recognition of Prior Learning for cross-crediting qualifications.
The University of Otago also has exchange agreements with more than 100 institutions in 33 countries worldwide – see Otago exchange partners.
Both the University of Otago and the Otago Polytechnic have recorded excellent academic achievement levels, and are highly regarded and rated for their courses and teaching quality.
New Zealand is considered a leader in high school education, and Dunedin’s high schools have a very good academic record compared to the rest of New Zealand.
University of Otago
The University of Otago attracts students from all over the world. Recognised as one of the 16 most beautiful campuses in the world, it is ranked in the top 300 universities in all major world rankings.
- It is the only New Zealand University to rank in the top four in all average quality score measures, 2012 Performance-Based Research Fund (PBRF).
- The Otago’s Faculty of Dentistry ranks among the world’s top 10.
- It tops the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) educational performance indicators for retention of students and progression to higher study.
- It has an unmatched record in the National Teaching Excellence Awards, including four Supreme Award winners in successive years.
- It is New Zealand’s leading postgraduate research University: postgraduate students enjoy a 3:1 ratio to research-active staff.
- It has an internationally accredited Business School: AACSB and EQUIS accreditations.
- Student surveys show overwhelming satisfaction with services provided (99% with campus safety; 98% with sport and recreation facilities; 96% with libraries; 96% with administration and support; 96% with residential colleges).
Read more about University of Otago facts and figures.
Otago Polytechnic student satisfaction ratings are consistently high, as are employment opportunities.
- The New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) gave Otago Polytechnic its highest possible endorsement in 2014 and 2015, rating it as "Highly confident in educational performance" and "Highly confident in capability in self-assessment.”
- The New Zealand Government’s Tertiary Education Commission ranked the Otago Polytechnic a leader in all areas of student achievement, including holding the top equal position in the New Zealand polytechnic sector for qualification completions.
- In the 2013 Australasian Survey of Student Engagement (AUSSE), which polled more than 25,000 students across 41 universities and polytechnics in Australasia, the Otago Polytechnic led all benchmark groups in supportive learning environments, active learning, staff-student interactions, enriching educational experiences, work-integrated learning, general learning outcomes and general development outcomes.
Read more about Otago Polytechnic facts and figures.Adding Add to Information File Remove from Information File